Monday, August 9, 2010

Crossing Borders

A little birdie in my head (named Kristin) is telling me to keep this post positive. So I'll do my best.
We planned a few months ago to accept an invitation to a little family vacation south of the border. We expected the usual relaxed weekend filled with dining out, water slides, games rooms, shopping for back to school clothes etc...
Insert relaxed looking photo here:

All of that did happen, expect for the only difference being that this time to get to...
...the litter,

the graffiti,

the ???,

and the area that had 7 tornadoes touching down on Saturday evening...

...we had to get through customs.

No...that wasn't the customs officer, but maybe a not so distant cousin? Less than a week ago I went through customs and the dude was relaxed and listening to Black Sabbath on the radio. It was a 30 second transaction. This past Friday during a routine? search this gem of an officer keeps going on about smuggling weapons and people that lie to him. My son tries to assure him that "we don't have weapons and we are not robbers". He informs my son that people tell him that all of the time, but "they are liars". So rude, but fair enough a guy has to to his job right?
He's so good at his job that he accused me of withholding information, accused me of being a drug user, accused me of lying to him, threatened to catch me lying, charge me, deny me access and fine me...and then he says he's letting me in THIS time, and away we went. He did tell me I needed paperwork to prove I wasn't a criminal NEXT time. Nice. I wonder if that's similar to the multiple criminal record checks I've had done for various employers over the years and when I applied for and was granted "Reliability Status" with the government of Canada?
I could go on and on about the sillyness of it all, but I digress.
The experience got me thinking and I grew curious why someone would smuggle weapons into the land of weapons?

To get back on to a positive track I will show you the outstanding qualities of this weekend and goings on in the U.S. this week that should make them proud.

The B-52's, Cheech and Chong (I think they threw Chong in jail), AND Scott Baio! Amazing window display in East Grand Forks.

One of the most if not the most popular news clip of this past week:
...and the amazing Auto Tune The News version of Antoine Dodson's rant!
I was also informed that Pancakes and Skateboards inspired some Double Rainbow air time during a short films competition at a a friend's Theatre in Arizona this weekend. Awesome!
More skateboarding soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment