Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Squeegee girl vs. Shell girl

The other day I had to visit the lovely neighborhood of Transcona for a photo shoot. People who know me, know I like to jest about Transcona from time to time almost as much as I jest about St. Boniface or St. Bananaface if you will. When I was deep in the heart of Transcona I noted a super tacky mural on the wall of a small food store of a skateboarder catching an air. I made a mental note to go back and take a picture as I was running late when I first passed it, but unfortunately I forgot. I will go back someday.

Now, I'm not sure if it was the "Hi Neighbor" statue, the fact that Transcona feels it should paint images of skateboarders on their walls or the weather, but I would have to say I left Transcona with a good feeling for the first time in a long time if not the first time ever. It may have been for the same reasons when I was driving back through St. Bananaface that I noticed how much change is going on in that neighborhood and maybe I should make a point of taking a closer look in the near future.

People who know me also know that I have a history of taking a firm stance with pan handlers and squeegee kids. I don't hand out money, but often advice. I have always worked hard for my money and am not going to part with it so it can fund the unknown. That's not saying I haven't helped people in need. I've clothed the poor and fed the hungry (gee I'm great). Anyway...so where these two stories connect is driving home with all this Transcona/St. Bananaface feel good feeling and I get stuck at a red light when the squeegee girl makes her way over to my car. I "shoo" her away like always and she says "this ones on me...besides I like your car". I looked through the window as my windows were being washed and I was intrigued to say the least


Upon further investigation I realized that I found beauty in Transcona, St. Bananaface and squeegee girl.


I still spared no change. haha After a quick photo session with squeegee girl (yes she has a name, but may not want it shared) and her boyfriend (who I think might be a squeegee pimp...kidding) I was reminded of another squeegee wielding girl I ran in to the other night.

I was filling up with gas on Sunday night when the gas station attendent (Shell girl) asked to take some photos of my car. I obliged.

So I stopped by the station on my way home from taking photos to ask for pictures of her in return for the pictures she took of my car and she obliged me back.

I don't think she actually uses the squeegees, but she has access to an abundance of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment