Monday, January 10, 2011

Photographer Fight Club

From time to time I see photographers pour in to the streets of Winnipeg. Perhaps they're on an outing or more likely on an assignment from their respective photo schools. Hitting the streets to put more experience under their belts or perhaps on the hunt for that perfect shot. I am sure the class teacher gets hit with a dozen or so versions of the same subject matter again and again. Of course this can help the students learn from one another which technique, lens, lighting etc...favoured the subject the most.

Well eventually school ends and you end up shooting on your own. If you're shooting portraiture you are no doubt capturing an image that may be hard to duplicate, but if you're shooting famous or obscure buildings and inanimate objects about town who's to say how many pictures have been taking of that particular object or how many will be in the future.

Yesterday was one of those rare occasions that I wasn't shooting alone.

When my friend Michelle came across this blue door she shot her own version of what she saw. I had posted a picture of the same door in an earlier posts. Different lens, different distance at a different time of day.


This is where the photographer battle comes in. I caught Michele in the act and quickly pointed out in a joking, yet arrogant manner that the image had already been captured! Knowing very well that I doubted I was the first just as I was sure she wouldn't be the last.


She ducks my punch and throws one back at me reminding me that she's been shooting "blue doors" for quite some time and I was merely getting started.


Round one was over!

I gracefully accepted my defeat. To continue showing off Michelle's work in hopes of motivating her to start up a blog or get some more of her images in the public eye whether on a gallery wall or in a publication of sorts...here's a couple more shots showcasing some of the stuff she's been working on.

The Barbie project.


A trip to Brazil.


When she does have something going to showcase more of her photography I'll be sure to keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment