Monday, February 7, 2011

Call Response Book Launch highlights.

On my way to the West End Cultural Centre it dawned on me that I hadn't been there since a Burn The Eight Track Show in 2001 if my memory serves correct. This was my first time seeing the interior post renovation. It had a weird vibe as well as some familiarities about it. The assistant said it reminded her more of a new age church when you walk in than a music venue and I think she hit the nail on the head.

We weren't there for the ambiance, we were there for the music. More precisely I was there for the Bonaduces who I hadn't seen since a show in the basement of The Zoo so many, many years ago.

The Bondaduces were the first band of the evening to breathe some life in to the stage.


The band was dressed to impress...


...and they came to put on a great show.


Bob on bass!


Lead guitar winning the crowd over.


This is art.


We left before the last band hit the stage as we were all too curious what the "Bro Mags" had to offer at The Albert.

Winnipeg can be a harsh crowd on occasion. Sometimes the music matters less and who you are matters more. I'm sure that's common in more cities than ours. I would say that these guys executed what they came to do with near perfection as far as the music was concerned. They were a Cro-Mags cover band.


Unfortunately despite a room packed with Cro-Mags fans, there didn't appear to be any buy in. The singer pulled off the vocals and did much better once he ditched the mic stand, but appeared to become flustered when the results weren't perhaps as desired. Could it have have been the dress shirt and dress shoes? John Bloodclot Jopseph wouldn't show up in dress shoes...would he? I hope they try this again and get better results despite WHO they are to me or anyone else. When there are no Cro-Mags on stage...a Cro-Mags cover band will have to do.


I tend to avoid "hardcore shows" where the "hardcore kids" dance and sing to hip hop songs in between bands holding their paper bagged beverages up in the air in their hands where the faded remnants of x's remind me of a time since past...and for this very reason I had yet to see Still Fighting....until now.

Riley found his inner G.G. Allin and self inflicted some wounds to his forehead at the beginning of the bands set.


Showing some love for The ALX.


He's a one man show.


I was hoping to see Nat or the guitar player do some spin kicks or some crucial jumps, but no such luck. At least she was having a good time!


Still Fighting seemed to be a crowd favourite.


Definitely one of the highlights of the evening. I would see this band again and suggest you do the same if you have not already. I'm just glad he didn't get any more G.G. Allin than the multiple blows to the head.


A sort of last minute surprise, The ALX hit the stage for three quick songs.

A former roommate.


A current roommate.


Not only a full time promoter of music, but apparently also a producer of music.


This was the end of my night.


It wasn't over until The Comeback Kid took the stage...this time I missed out.

The Call Response Book is now officially for sale at Into The Music and will be hitting McNally's shelves near the end of March. Support Kids Help Phone. Buy a Book! Add awesomeness to your own collection or start one with this book!

7 comments:

  1. "I tend to avoid "hardcore shows" where the "hardcore kids" dance and sing to hip hop songs in between bands holding their paper bagged beverages up in the air in their hands where the faded remnants of x's remind me of a time since past...and for this very reason I had yet to see Still Fighting....until now." HEY MAN, I DANCE AROUND LIKE AN IDIOT BETWEEN BAND SETS TO RAP SONGS. WHAT EXACTLY DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING? JUST CURIOUS. I DONT SEE ANYTHING FADED ABOUT MY X'S ACTUALLY. JUST WONDERING. IM NOT TRYING TO START SHIT- I GOTS LOVE FOR YOU, BUT I HOPE YOU DON'T HONESTLY SEE A CORRELATION BETWEEN PEOPLE LIKING HORRIBLE HORRIBLE RAP SONGS (AND BELIEVE ME, I LOVE THAT SHIT) OR DANCING AROUND LIKE RETARDS (ALSO, ME) AND FADED STRAIGHT EDGE PRIDE (NOT ME). CAM I GOT NOTHING BUT LOVE FOR YOU, BUT ALL US RETARDS DANCING TO HIP HOP SONGS ARE THE ONES KEEPING THIS ALIVE. AND LETTING THAT STOP YOU FROM CHECKING OUT STILL FIGHTING WAS A TRAVESTY UPON YOUR SELF MAN. BUT IM GLAD YOU FINALLY DID. IT WAS A SICK SET, NO?
    THE PICTURES LOOK SICK. IF THERE ARE ANY MORE PLEASE SEND ME I WANNA SCOPE THAT.

    -JASDAVE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jasdave,

    Thanks for your comment. I read my own words again and fail so see where I put down anyone's taste in music or right to dance and have a good time. The sentence starts with "I tend to avoid", which means just that. I avoid it because it's not my scene. I didn't say anything was wrong with it. I did get a bit witty regarding sellout hardcore kids, which you profess not to be one of. So no insult to your musical taste, your dancing and you're not a sellout, so I can't see any reason to be offended if that's what's going on here?

    You are absolutely right...I did bring the travesty upon myself for missing the opportunity to see this band until this past weekend. I also did myself the favour of spending the majority of my time away from places where sellouts congregate so no huge regrets on my part. That's my personal preference. You have yours, I'll have mine and from time to time we'll meet somewhere in the middle of the pit enjoying good music together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Albert IS the place where sellouts go, and straight edge dies. Matt Holden's edge RIP xKEEPITREALx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, spank dog here. I heard about your post and i had to check it out for myself. I'm one of those "hardcore kids" who you are referring to. I have been going to hardcore shows continuously for 5 years now, and have always been in several bands. I understand you had been around for a real time, but i don't think I had ever seen you until that Comeback kid show. So what makes you think you have any idea about what goes on at "hardcore shows". If you don't want to be apart of it, that fine, but you have no grounds to be criticizing what is essentially ours now. These "hardcore kids" who are dancing around with cans in their hands, are the "hardcore kids" who are putting on shows, playing and touring in bands, and releasing records. What we think is funny between bands shouldnt matter at all. And it really shouldn't leave you to be surprised to see a "hardcore band" at a "hardcore show".

    You were around years ago, and i can respect that. But i really don't see how you can be criticizing our current scene. I owned a kodiak disposable camera when i was 11, but you don't see me blogging about how modern photography is crap because things aren't done the same way as when i owned that camera.

    So yes. just had to get that off my chest.

    - Spanker bro

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Anonymous Spanker,

    Like I mentioned previously the first time this was taken the wrong way, mentioning that I avoid something because it's not for me does not dictate that I am criticizing it.

    I could write a post about how I avoid sex orgies because it's not my scene either. I'm sure orgies are rad for those who wish to participate.

    I also acknowledged that yes, I give no high fives for "ex-straight edge" folks.

    I read it AGAIN and noticed not once did I compare modern day hardcore shows to shows of the past so I don't quite understand the need for the camera reference.

    You're right... What you think is funny between bands doesn't matter at all. Touch dicks for all I care....I can still say I'm not in to that without criticizing your right to touch each others dicks. I can still write that I'm so not in to it that it's the deciding factor in finding another venue to watch some live bands when given an option.

    You understand that I've been around for a long time and that's great. If you did a little more research you'd realize I have a son, so for the last seven years I've needed a babysitter or something along those lines to enable me to attend anything from a hardcore show to a movie that isn't G-Rated. So when I do go out...I need to choose wisely where I'd like to spend my time because it's valuable.

    Thanks for your comment. Glad to hear this post or any is being "talked about". Thanks for taking the time to check it out for yourself and express your feelings misguided or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. buddy
    your son dont live with you full time
    hardcore dont sleep for no one

    ReplyDelete
  7. We both know my name is not buddy, it's Cam Nikkel.

    We both know that you have no idea what you are talking about.

    Hardcore sleeps when people get on the internet and use their time to talk smack without taking the time to use their real names.

    FULL TIME SINGLE parent.
    FULL TIME hardcore.
    FULL TIME straight edge.

    Some day you'll get it.
    In the meantime, keep enjoying doing whatever it is you do, however you enjoy doing it!

    ReplyDelete